Visit and "Like" for future posts on Facebook
Protect Yourself !
Inexpensive and free things you can
do to protect yourself from EMF . . . . .
The World Health Organization now dedicates part of its website to EMF radiation exposure - yet most people still know little about the issue. It’s a field of health research that deserves your attention. For a brief but effective overview of this "sleeper" issue by doctors and scientists, visit
The EMF Dilemma : A problem the law hasn't caught up with
Protect yourself - and your family too
The Bioinitiative Working Group, a collaboration of scientists and public health policy experts from Sweden, Denmark, China, Austria and the United States, created a 650-page report examining over 200 studies on EMF’s health hazards. In 2012 the organization said the following in a press release :
"While we aggressively investigate the links between autism disorders and wireless technologies, we should minimize wireless and EMF exposures for people with autism disorders, children of all ages, people planning a baby, and during pregnancy."
Although study of potential ill effects of EMF is still ongoing, several European Union member countries have taken precautionary steps to protect citizens from EMF exposure. France, Germany, and the UK, for instance, have requested that schools and public libraries stop using wireless networks
Inexpensive and FREE ways to decrease EMF exposure
Primary sources of EMF exposure include power lines, wireless communications (routers, mobile phones, cell phone towers, smart meters and cordless phones), your house’s main power circuits and other circuits and devices in your home that have electrical wiring. Clearly it’s not possible to avoid EMF exposure altogether. Like the European countries mentioned, the most sensible step is to reduce EMF exposure. Here are some ways to start :
- Patch any “leaks” in your home electric circuitry. You may not be able to avoid EMF from the wiring in your walls entirely - but improvements may be possible. Have the electrical circuits in your home checked, to be sure they’re properly grounded
- Put distance between yourself and the source. The effects of electromagnetic fields diminish with distance. When possible, stand back from electric and electronic devices when in use, and move them back from where you sit or lie
- Turn off mobile phone Bluetooth, 3G, and WiFi functions when not in use. The same goes for your WiFi router at home, particularly in the evenings
- Text more, talk less. Phones emit less radiation when sending texts, rather than voice communications
- Use cell phones in speaker mode whenever possible, rather than against your head
- As much as possible, employ hands-free accessories to keep your mobile phone away from your body. If using a headset, use a wired connection if possible. If wireless, make sure to take off your headset/earpiece when you’re not on a call
- When in use, hold your phone away from your body. Why ? The amount of radiation absorbed by your head and body decreases dramatically with even a small distance. Don’t put the phone in your pocket or clip it to your belt, even when using your headset
- Call when the signal is strong. Fewer signal bars mean the phone must try harder to broadcast its signal. Research shows that radiation exposure increases dramatically when your cell phone signals are weak
- Don’t store your phone in your pocket (or under your pillow). When a phone is on and not in use, it still sends out an intermittent signal to connect with nearby cell phone towers, which means radiation exposure is still happening
- Laptops should not be placed on your lap at all ! If you’re going to use a laptop for long periods of time, use an accessory keyboard and mouse to reduce EMF exposure
- Replace older TV or desktop monitors with LCD (liquid crystal display) screens. These emit far less radiation than the older CRT technology
- Where possible, unplug electrical devices that aren’t in use, such as microwaves, TVs, computers and video game equipment. This is especially important in your bedroom. Radiation emitted by plugged in electrical devices can disrupt production of melatonin, a hormone that regulates the sleep-wake cycle, even when the devices are turned off. As much as possible, make your bedroom an EMF-free zone
- Extreme caution is encouraged with electric blankets and heating pads, implicated in cancers of several kinds. Rubber hot water bottles are an old school solution still popular in many European countries. At the very most, use an electric blanket to warm your bed before you get in - but then unplug it entirely
- Commit to a digital sabbatical at least once a week. Take a day off from your PC, laptop, or tablet, and as many other electronic and electrical devices as possible. Consider a weekend camping night with your kids – even in your own backyard. Or go on a hike with the family, or some other fun outdoor activity, minus the constant checking of email and social media
- Wherever possible, favor wired internet connections over wireless ones, and instead use an ethernet cable. A good example of this can be seen in video games, where EMF readings decrease dramatically, both for base unit and controller, when an ethernet cable is used.
- Choose lighting fixtures that emit the least EMF possible at home or in your office. This lighting guide by the folks at Powerwatch is an excellent reference
- Reduce EMF pollution at home through houseplants. The recent Clean Air Study by NASA recommended specific air-filtering, positive ion absorbing plants that reduce benzene, formaldehyde, xylene and ammonia – as well as EMF – in indoor air. These plants include bamboo palm, weeping fig, and flamingo lilies. Here’s an infographic on these plants
- If you work in a daycare center or kindergarten school, do everything you can to prevent electrosmog pollution. This might include advocating against installing wireless access points nearby
- Limit TV and computer hours of children, particularly those below the age of 12. Work towards a “digital compromise” with your kids. In a best possible world, mobile phones would be used only for emergencies by children under 16. As a start, build in curfews on electronics use an hour or two before bedtime
- Also turn off your own electronics at least an hour before bedtime. For most of us this is where the real battle begins – but it’s also where the benefits begin, in terms of replenishment and sleep
Visit and "Like our page on Facebook !
An absolutely core issue to attend to : your eyesight
- Take steps to protect yourself from the high energy blue light emitted by your device monitors. The intense blue light generated by computer screens - including cell phone, smart phones, tablet and e-reader screens - lets these devices be more energy efficient, but also has downside qualities. With extended use blue light can contribute to eye strain, and eventually to macular degeneration. It also suppresses production of melatonin by the brain, which can in turn disrupt sleep. Protect yourself from high energy blue light by a) limiting computer use where possible b) using monitor screen filters developed for this purpose, and c) wearing protective lenses
Optometrists are well aware of this issue, and protective technology is available for prescription lenses. Non-prescription glasses are also available from many sources for computer use and gaming. Research carefully, and opt for quality products ! Note : Other sources of high energy blue light include televisions, fluorescent lights and energy efficient lighting, such as CFL bulbs and LED lighting
See more ways to protect your eyes on this page
Don't just defend - take initiative !
To view this theme from a different angle, consider ways to replenish the forces EMF depletes. EMF could be just the incentive some of us need to seriously and systematically address our health. Go deep - and go holistic !
- Getting outdoors as part of a general personal wellness program, should not be underestimated in this regard. This opens the door so to speak, to the theme of cosmic nutrition – something few people are aware of, but which you may find makes immediate sense
- It’s also possible to buffer the effects of EMF through appropriate nutrition. We can point out some general guidelines for an upbuilding diet – but a few bear immediate mention. Root vegetables – vegetables parts that grow under the earth - have particularly upbuilding effects for the human head and nervous system (and also for the skin). Among these vegetables are carrots, beets, turnips, sweet potatoes, parsnips, rutabagas and kohlrabi. Moderate amounts of raw vegetables as snacks or in salads or slaws, and fermented vegetables like kimchi and sauerkraut, have similar effects
- Prayer and meditation (e.g. mindfulness meditation) reduce stress and reconnect us to our environment – inner, outer and social – in ways research indicates also support physical health.
- For EMF exposures from your electric and electronic devices, protect yourself and your family with
The Harmonic Shield !
When applied to these devices The Harmonic Shield counteracts the effects of EMF they produce, prevents its absorption by your body - and so reduces your EMF exposure “before the fact”
Share this page
- Last but not least, take real initiative in the world you live in. EMF is not about to go away on its own. Let this challenge to all of our well being mobilize you, and join the EMF safety movement. Many scientists, doctors and other health professionals are already speaking up, and they need our support. Look into the groups in the article below, learn more about EMF related issues - and join the fight for safer technology !
You, Me, We Together : EMF Activism
The worst offenders - and how to deal with them
By now you should have some great ways to reduce EMF exposures in your life. But we'd be remiss to not mention some of worst polluters in our modern environment. These include :
- High voltage electrical transmission lines
- Local electrical power substations
- Cell phone towers/masts near workplaces
- Cell phone masts in residential neighborhoods
- Smart meters
Concerning smart meters, you have several options :
- Firstly, whether or not you have a smart meter, or one is proposed, we recommend joining or supporting your local smart meter activists
- If a new installation is proposed for your home, in your own home, check activists, and if you have any say at all, refuse it
- If a smart meter is already installed where you live, also explore your options, and find out if it can be removed, and replaced with an older technology analog meter
- If there's no other choice, use the varied measures we've already suggested for reducing your exposures, and consider other options, such as whole room or whole house protection devices
Concerning high voltage transmission lines, power substations and cell phone masts close to where you lie or work - well, there may be some EMF pollution sources too great to be helped
by any preventive/protective measure. You'll want to consult with experts on minimum safe distances from these sources, but our advice is to err on the side of safety - and in the worst case, leave that location
Please give us feedback
What other methods do you use to reduce EMF exposure ? We’d like to hear about them. Email us your opinions or share your comments, so we can include them in future guides !
Article by : Kyjean Tomboc RN and Jeff Smith RN
All rights : Living Waters Wellness Products
The Harmonic Shield on Amazon.com
Share this page
with friends !
with friends !